#FASTEN. Pikachu!



Hey hey everyone! It's been a while, but I am BACK!! (I feel like I say that every time I post, don't I?)


This time, I am proud to feature another artist's work! It's probably been a bit over a year since the last time I've shared photos/mods for another artist's pattern and I'm really excited about this one.

This past month, I was commissioned by a good friend of mine to make a Pikachu for her mom's birthday. It is always such a flattering thing when someone trusts me to bring their plush to life! Flattery and all that mushy stuff aside, I already had a pattern in mind I wanted to use to create this Pikachu (I've had the pattern saved on my ig since it was first posted!)... ✨

 @yarnionrings is a Singapore-based crochet artist who makes the most adorable amigurumi! She makes her own lovely patterns and designs, but crochets Pokémon as well from time to time! About a year ago, they shared a lovely free Pikachu pattern on their ig feed and I've kinda been waiting for the perfect opportunity to try it out. I was so relieved when they allowed me to use it for this project. The pattern was easy to follow and so much fun. The final product turned out so adorably and I highly, HIGHLY, recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quick, cute and easy pattern for the summer!

Long-time followers of this blog and my ig will know that I usually gravitate toward unpopular or wacky Pokémon! Some people might call it "anti-hype" 😂. As such, I didn't really have any plans to pattern my own Pikachu! I really enjoy opportunities to follow other artists' patterns, though! It's a great learning experience because I find that it opens my eyes to new problem-solving strategies... ones that I might want to employ in my own future patterns! It's also quite fascinating to see how following the same pattern can result in different final products!


THAT BEING SAID, I did make a few changes to my project. They are all quite minor changes, but I have decided to share them here. For the complete pattern, remember to visit @yarnionrings's ig!

If you want to see more pictures of the whole process and learn some tips for needle felting, sewing, or working with sheet felt, check out my instagram feed! I've created a highlight that will run you through my whole experience from start to finish. Alrightey, let's get into it!

Please note that the original pattern (and all credit) belongs to @yarnionrings! Here are just some adaptations that I've made for my own Pikachu <3. Enjoy!

I followed the original pattern's instructions as written for the head and body.

Yarn Used

Yellow: Impeccable Yarn by Loops & Threads in BUTTERSCOTCH
Brown: Impeccable Yarn by Loops & Threads in BARLEY
Black: Red Heart Supersaver in BLACK


Minor Modifications

Ears (Make 2)

With black,

1 MC, sc 4 (4)

2 inc x 4 (8)

3 sc 8 (8)

4 3 sc, inc x 2 (10)

5 sc 10 (10)

- change to yellow yarn, -

6-11 (follow original pattern's instructions)

12 2 sc, dec x 3 (9)

13 sc around (9)

14 sc 7, dec (8)

15 sc around  (8)

FO, leaving a yarn tail for sewing.



Legs (Make 2)

With butterscotch,

1 MC, 6 sc  (6)

2 inc x 6 (12)

3 3 sc, inc x 3 (15)

4-5 sc around for 2 rounds (15)

6 3 sc, dec x 3 (12)

7 sc around (12)

8 2 sc, dec x 3 (9)

9 sc around (9)

10 8 sc, inc (10)

11 ch 1 and flatten piece. Then, 5 sc across to close the shape.


Arms (Make 2)

With butterscotch,

1-2    (Follow original pattern's instructions.)

3-9 sc around for 7 rounds

10 ch 1, TURN and flatten your piece. 5 sc across the opening to close.

FO, leaving a yarn tail for sewing.



Stripes (Make 2)

* The stripes will be worked in rows.


With barley,

1 ch 15, TURN

2 14 sc

FO, leaving a yarn tail for sewing.




Major Modifications


Tail (Make 2)

* The tail will be worked in rows.
* Font colour indicates the yarn colour you will need for each stitch.


With butterscotch,

1 ch 13, TURN

2-6 ch 112 sc for 5 rows

7 ch 112 scch 7

8-10 ch 111 sc for 3 rows 

11 sc 10sc, ch 4

12 ch 14 sc, sc 4

13 ch 1, 2 scsc 6

FO, leaving a yarn tail for sewing.



Once you have completed the second tail piece, do NOT fasten off. Use stitch markers to attach both tail pieces together. Any colour changes or loose ends should be hidden between both pieces of Pikachu's tail.


Then, sc around the perimeter of the tail.


Whenever you reach a corner (like seen in the photo), 3 sc. This will help keep the pieces from warping.

Despite the deadline I had to complete this lil guy (about 10 days), I really enjoyed the whole process. The original pattern was easy to read, which made the whole journey feel even quicker! Definitely check out @yarnionring's ig feed if you haven't already and show her page some love! I hope you like the minor changes I added! I really challenged myself to make a dynamic tail with that iconic thunderbolt shape and I'm pleased with the end result. What do you think??

Anyway, that's all I've got for now! I hope you enjoyed this little mod run-through. Stay safe everyone and I'll see you soon 👀! Keep your eyes out for something fun to be announced on the ig!


Cindy.



Comments

Popular Posts