#FASTEN Jigglypuff!



2 months ago, I landed my first paid crochet gig! My coworker’s son is absolutely in love with Jiggypuff so she asked if I could crochet one up for him. That's like, the cutest thing ever, right?! How could I say no?! (Side note: I finished this badboy Oct. 16th, so I'm a big late to the blog party!)

So, I scoured the internet, looking for a pattern I liked, chose this awesome one by Needlehook Creations, and hopped right to it! 

This project came at the perfect time; I needed something productive to pour my time into to get out of my head! One of the things I love about crocheting is the instant gratification I get from each stitch that I make. The progress feels tangible and finishing each round motivates me to continue crocheting the next one, and the next one after that!

I am surprised (though I really shouldn’t be hahaha) each time I follow a new pattern because I am still learning brand new things! This particular pattern taught me that you can crochet something called a partial row. Partial rows refer to rows short rows. Instead of turning your work (and thus changing the look/texture of the finished piece), you can instead fasten off at the end of your row and start a brand new row above, moving from right to left. This was challenging at first for me… I was so intimidated by the partial row thing that I decided not to do it for Jigglypuff’s ears or arms. I just made up my own modifications to the pattern. (I’ll share those here for your viewing pleasure, just in case you decide to crochet one for yourself)

But y'already know: you can't just choke all yo problems (Dave Chappelle, anyone?!). I had to suck it up, pull up my big girl pants, and do the partial rows for jigglypuff’s swirl. That thing was a reeeeeeeeal challenge, but I’m really happy with the way that it turned out! :D From this thank you note I received, it looks like Jigglypuff’s new trainer is happy with the way it turned out, too. :)


The note I received the next day from
Jiggypuff's new caregiver :')

This pattern also taught me that doing a commissioned piece is just as gratifying as completing something for yourself or a gift for a friend. I thought that I would lose some “passion” since this was “work,” but I didn’t love crochet any less. I felt so accomplished finishing the project that I’m kinda sorta looking forward to my next commissioned piece!

Anyway, scroll on below if you’re interested in the custom modifications to the ears and arms. The original (and amazing) pattern by Needlehook Creations can be found here. Enjoy! 

Jigglypuff’s ears (make 2)

With pink yarn,
1 mc, sc 6
2 sc, inc x 3 (9)
3 2sc, inc x 3 (12)
4 3sc, inc x 3 (15)
5 4sc, inc x 3 (18)
6 5sc, inc x 3 (21)
7 6sc, inc x 3 (24)
8 7sc, inc x 3 (27)
9 inc, (3 sc, inc x 6) sc inc (35)
10 6 sc, inc x 5 (35)
FO, leaving a long yarn tail for sewing.

*The black parts of Jigglypuff's ears are needle-felted. Cutting out triangular pieces of black felt would work well, too.*

Jigglypuff’s arms (make 2)

With pink yarn,
1 mc 5
2 (inc, sc1) x 2, inc
3 sc 3, inc, sc 4
4 sc around (9)
5 sc around
6 sc around
FO, leaving a long yarn tail for sewing.
Thanks for reading!
Cindy.

The Pokéfam (this pic was taken before Metapod)!


Comments

Popular Posts